Holistic Nutrition Degree
Holistic nutrition is more than just looking at calories, vitamins, and nutrients found in food. Holistic nutritionists also explore how food impacts the body and mind as well as how it affects longevity and quality of life. Studying nutrition is a worthwhile endeavor and with the right training, you can certainly succeed in this profession. You'll learn important job skills such as:
- How to treat and prevent certain illnesses.
- How to create specialized diets geared towards a healthy lifestyle.
- How to recommend supplements based on a client's unique needs.
- How to identify food allergies and nutritional deficiencies.
- How to incorporate exercise into everyday life.
These skills in addition to other important competencies can be acquired through an accredited degree program. And many schools now offer nutrition degrees online! You can earn your degree while continuing to work or maintain other commitments. Depending on what level of education you decide to pursue, you can earn your degree in as little as two years.
Online Degrees in Nutrition
Below are accredited schools with online degrees in nutrition to help you get started towards your career goals today.
Kaplan University — Kaplan University is one of the largest and most trusted names in online education. Their BS in Nutrition Science is a fast, convenient way to start a career as a nutritionist as classes are attended and completed entirely online. Kaplan has over 70 campuses across the country for those seeking a traditional program structure. To learn more about Kaplan University, click here.
New York Chiropractic College — New York Chiropractic College is a small school located in Seneca Falls, New York and is one of only 18 chiropractic colleges in the nation. It offers an MS in Applied Clinical Nutrition that can be taken at the school or through online classes, providing a good way to advance your career. To learn more about New York Chiropractic College, click here.
Liberty University — Liberty University is a Christian college located in Lynchburg, Virginia. The school has one of the largest online course offerings among Christian schools which include the MPH of Nutrition and Wellness, designed for working professionals. These programs are designed to be completed in two years but require a bachelor’s degree for enrollment.
Ashford University — Ashford University is located in Clinton, Iowa, but it is also one of the most popular schools for students wanting to earn their degree online. Ashford offers a BA in Health and Wellness or Health Education which can lay the foundation for someone interested in holistic nutrition and health as a career. To learn more about Ashford University, click here.
What is Holistic Nutrition?
Holistic nutrition is an emerging field with exciting educational and career opportunities. But what exactly is holistic nutrition? We often hear the terms holistic remedies or holistic healing when reading health and wellness articles, especially in wake of an obesity epidemic. Our country continues to struggle with obesity numbers, and as a result, more and more people are heading to the doctor or nutritionist for health advice.
If your practitioner suggests meeting with a holistic nutritionist, here’s what to expect. Holistic nutrition is a form of nutrition therapy that some doctors and wellness practitioners recommend to their patients. It promotes optimal health through balanced nutrition and enhanced sleep and exercise. And a holistic nutritionist helps patients make smart dietary choices. Holistic nutrition also involves the use of supplements such as vitamins and amino acids in order to boost health.
How to Work in Holistic Nutrition: Degree Specifics
To work in holistic nutrition, the proper education is required. Depending on your education and career goals, you can earn an associate’s, a bachelor’s, or a master’s degree in this field.
- An associate’s degree often takes two years to complete and prepares graduates for entry-level employment. You’ll be required to complete a series of courses in science and nutrition.
- A bachelor’s degree takes three or four years to complete and requires students to complete general education and career-specific courses in order to graduate.
- A master’s degree takes two or three years to complete and requires students to complete a combination of extensive career-specific courses and electives relating to a specific area of concentration.
Depending on the program, you’ll likely take courses that cover such topics as:
- Basics of Nutrition
- Diet and Disease
- Herbal Biology
- Healthcare Consulting
- Holistic Food Preparation
- Weight Management
These courses will provide a solid foundation in nutritional health. You’ll learn the basic principles of healthy eating and active living. Want to learn more? Check out our video below for a comprehensive overview of how to earn a degree in holistic nutrition and other related fields:
Careers in Holistic Nutrition
It’s important to know what nutritionists and dieticians typically do on a daily basis. According to O*Net OnLine, individuals in these professionals often perform the following tasks:
- Counsel individuals and groups on basic rules of good nutrition, healthy eating habits, and nutrition monitoring to improve their quality of life.
- Assess nutritional needs, diet restrictions and current health plans to develop and implement dietary-care plans and provide nutritional counseling.
- Advise patients and their families on nutritional principles, dietary plans and diet modifications, and food selection and preparation.
- Consult with physicians and health care personnel to determine nutritional needs and diet restrictions of patient or client.
- Organize, develop, analyze, test, and prepare special meals such as low-fat, low-cholesterol and chemical-free meals.
- Make recommendations regarding public policy, such as nutrition labeling, food fortification, and nutrition standards for school programs.
Holistic nutritionists may likely perform the above, in addition to advising patients on buying organic, taking supplements, and other nutritional considerations.
With a degree in holistic nutrition, you can work as a dietician or nutritionist with a focus on holistic principles of heath and preventive education.
How about Teaching? The Job of a Health Educator
If you’re passionate about health and wellness but not sure about working as a dietician or a nutritionist, the job of a health educator might be worth looking into. Health educators take similar classes as dieticians in addition to teaching training courses. A bachelor’s degree is typically required for entry-level positions.
What does a health educator do? Health educators teach others about behaviors that promote wellness in addition to:
- evaluate the effectiveness of health programs and materials.
- analyze data to improve programs.
- advocate for improved health and wellness resources.
Health educators work in schools, hospitals, non-profit organizations, government, doctors’ offices, and private business. With employment of health educators expected to grow by 37 percent from 2010 to 2020, now is the time to enter the profession.
Online Holistic Education Programs
If you’re currently working or busy with other responsibilities, you can earn a degree in holistic education online. Many schools now offer distance learning options for students who need maximum scheduling flexibility.
Online programs vary by school. Some degrees are offered entirely online, while others are offered in a hybrid format. These programs require students to take classes both online and on-site. For some, this format provides the best of both types of instruction. However, if face-to-face instruction is not an option for you, fully online programs with no campus visitation required allow you to continue work or maintaining other commitments while pursuing your degree.
Our list of accredited degree programs will help you find the right program that fits your needs. Whether you work full-time, part-time, or stay at home, it can be difficult to earn a degree with a busy schedule. But if nutrition is your passion, why not make a career out of it? It’s possible and now, more than ever. Check out of list of schools below to help make your career happen.
Search For A Degree
Complete the form below to be matched with schools that suit your interests.